8.02.2009

An Adoptation



My friend gave me free advance screening tickets to "Orphan" film (see synopsis at the bottom of the post). I am not really a fan of suspense-horror genre so I made a mental list of excuses not to see the film. One of the reasons is my gf can't watch with me because she has a badminton game with her officemates. However, when my sisters found out about the freebies, they dragged me to watch it. With recession and all, anything that's free will convince most. :)

So there I was seated, skeptic, eyebrows raised, preparing to be dismayed. First five minutes of the film rolling and I was ripping my sister's arm as I nearly suffer a stroke with suspense! OMG! This film made a convert of me and had me full, eating all the bad presumptions I have of "Orphan".

Each sudden stare of Esther (lead role of the film, no other than the orphan herself), her deliberate moves, every iron lie and all her criminal thoughts had me holding my breath, squeezing myself closer to my poor battered sister. I gave in to all my senses and just let it all out! I screamed like a banshee with everyone else in the theater. The entire crowd applauded when her adoptive mommy slapped Esther real hard that she almost did a pirouette! Mommy's finally figured out what's wrong (such a weak word,not befitting of an imp!) with Esther while we cheer for mommy. Hooray!

Guaranteed shrill and thrill up to the very last minute! We all enjoyed it, except probably for my sister who's sworn never to go with me in suspense-horror-thriller flicks. Haha. I was impressed by "Orphan". I won't divulge the full plot because I'd like you all to experience Esther for yourself. :)

After the topsy turvy of emotions, "Orphan" had me thinking. Lesbians often adopt because we can't have kids with our partners. Adopting is a serious decision to begin with, but the real challenge is living up to that decision because adopting is making another human being part of your lives.

I know of a couple who adopted a newborn, the other even filed for maternity leave when they took the baby home. Yep, something fair for the lesbian world. One can actually file for maternity leave benefit even if you did not conceive at all. All of us was surprised of her sudden maternity leave because sure she's been pregnant with loads of work ideas, but not with a baby! And second biggie is, we didn't know she's a lesbian! Haha. After those two revelations I felt closer to her due to affinity. :) And have been following her updates in facebook. They're happy. I hope they don't watch "Orphan". Yeah, after I've sweet talked all my friends to watch it. :s

Bottomline is adopting is as critical as deciding to be pregnant. As unpredictable as watching a well crafted suspense thriller film.

-----------
Orphan synopsis:

The tragic loss of their unborn child has devastated Kate and John, taking a toll on both their marriage and Kate's fragile psyche as she is plagued by nightmares and haunted by demons from her past. Struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy in their lives, the couple decides to adopt a child. At the local orphanage, both John and Kate find themselves strangely drawn to a young girl named Esther. Almost as soon as they welcome Esther into their home, however, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there's something wrong with Esther--this seemingly angelic little girl is not what she appears to be. Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get John and others to see past Esther's sweet facade. But her warnings go unheeded until it may be too late-for everyone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1148204/synopsis

No comments: