6.19.2011

wonderful news and more wonderful cynthia

i saw this wonderful news last week:

(CNN) -- New York's state Assembly Wednesday night approved a same-sex marriage bill, sending it to the Senate, where it faces a closer vote. The Marriage Equality Act passed the Assembly 80-63.

and then i quickly remembered Cynthia Nixon who, when she announced in 2009 her engagement to partner Christine Marinoni (in an LGBT rally in NY) said that they'll only marry when everybody else can, when it is legal in NY (see clips at the bottom).

she is just amazing. she is staunch as miranda in Sex and the City and even more so as her true self, Cynthia Nixon. she is just relentless (see the fight back campaign at the bottom). and i love her for it. we can get tired too. get disappointed, frustrated, lose hope. so we need someone like her who are tireless in using her public image to get the simple concept of equality across. it helps keep the fire ablaze. i am very happy to see this great news for NY, to see their efforts bearing fruit.

before Cynthia became an lgbt activist, the 14th person to win an Emmy, a Tony, and a Grammy, she beautifully started it with these ---


"In terms of my sexual orientation, I don't really feel that I changed," she says. "I don't feel any different than I did before. I don't feel like there was some hidden part of myself that I wasn't aware of.


“I never felt like there was an unconscious part of me around that woke up or that came out of the closet; there wasn't a struggle, there wasn't an attempt to suppress. I met this woman, I fell in love with her, and I’m a public figure.






"I had been with men all my life and I had never met a woman I had fallen in love with before. But when I did it didn't seem so strange. I'm just a woman in love with another woman."




"She's basically a short man with boobs," Nixon says. "A lot of what I love about her is her butchness. I'm not saying I fell in love with her in a sexually neutral way. I love her sexuality - it's a big part of what I love about her - but I feel like it was her.




"Christine would probably kill me for saying this, but my daughter said one time that if you really had to break this down, [it looks like] she would be butch and I would be femme...but really once you get to know us it's really the opposite."


Christine Marinoni is an education activist in NY. She also used to be a homecoming queen, a curvy feminine redhead who was the belle of the ball on prom night. They dated since 2004, got engaged in 2009. She supported partner Cynthia throughout her breast cancer and has been a positive influence in her life. She is the stay home mom to their kids and is called "ma"/"mom" by Cynthia's kids to prior boyfriend. Last Feb. 7, 2011, Christine gave birth to their baby boy, Max Ellington Nixon-Marinoni. Christine is the first woman to capture Cynthia's heart. =)


Cynthia's speech at the NY LGBT rally
i cried at her speech. she just made me believe and hope and feel better. =)
thank you!!! 




fight back campaign

sources:
The lesbian love affair you WON'T see in Sex and the City
Cynthia Nixon describes fiancee Christine Marinoni as 'a short man with boobs'
Cynthia Nixon & Christine Marinoni Engaged 
Cynthia Nixon and Christine Marinoni
The First Photo Of Their Newborn Son
Pro-gay rally in NY

No comments: